The most common question I get here at Marketing Rockstar Guides is “How do I prepare for the Marketo Certification Exam (MCE)?”
Usually I tell people it is a combination of things:
- Using the system on a daily work basis for 6 to 12 months.
- Reading this blog. 🙂
- Reading the Marketing Rockstar’s Guide to Marketo (really useful for Admin and principles).
- Spending time on the Marketo Community.
- Getting a start with the Marketing Automation Rockstar’s Guide to Marketo (my course, paid)
- Learning Marketo via the Help Articles and Courses. (Free and paid Marketo courses exist from Marketo and other firms)
Now there are a few new tools available from Marketo and the wider Community that can help you. If you register for the Exam, you can now go through a real life practice exam that is much closer to what you see on the test.
- Marketo Practice Exam
- Marketo Certification Prep (2017)
- MCE Exam Prep Kit
- MCE Roadmap (has some practice questions and topics).
- MCE Checklist
- Steven Moody’s Preparation Checklist
However, if you are a regular user of Marketo for the past year and especially if you are an Admin, you shouldn’t sweat it. You will know the answers off the top of your head. That’s not to say you shouldn’t review all the materials. I do, because there are always one or two areas I don’t use frequently, so a quick brush up helps a lot.
[Update: April 16, 2015]
First, it turns out this is my 100th post on the site! Wow! Thanks for reading and subscribing.
Second, I took my third Exam this week at the rockin’ Marketo Summit. While I cannot tell you specific questions (nor can I recall 100 questions), I can tell you that you may encounter the newer features more often than in the past.
[Update: January 18, 2017]
I recently took the upcoming new MCE Beta Exam, which will test your abilities in different ways. I learned that those who take the test at home only need the regular laptop camera. The test instructions indicate the need for a separate webcam, when in fact this is not necessary. Simply press continue on the WebAssessor prompt. If this does not work, then please call the exam administrator to confirm the equipment needed.
Ready? Sign up for the exam.
If you are taking the MCE at this year’s Summit. Good luck!
[Updated: July 9, 2017: fixed broken links, added Marketo You Tube channel; added MRG Course ;)]