The other day Marketo finally released the long awaited responsive landing page tool. Called “Guided Pages” the new tool allows you to generate responsive pages in a nice wysiwyg interface.
In January, Marketo turned on Mobile Pages, enabling a quick fix for many Landing Pages to become “mobile”. Turns out this added an HTML5 DOC TYPE to the page to help non-desktops attempt the transition. I believe this worked well for most firms’ simple pages.
But it wasn’t a complete solution like HubSpot’s landing page editor.
Marketo’s solution allows you to define all the editable areas and elements as you might in an Email Template…and you can go beyond this because you can choose which editable areas are used at the Template and Page level. This is important because if one team doesn’t like using Element 2, they can just turn it off.
The catch here is that your LP Template must be built around Marketo’s design framework in order to make use of it. Regular Templates will not work here. Marketo has six examples you can download. A good html coder can build a custom one just for you.
Fortunately, several people who know page construction have already written great articles on this feature. Enjoy!
- Responsive Template How To – Adam New-Waterson of LeanData. Adam uses his HTML designer background to show us how to think about a responsive page.
- Guided Template Overview – Rachit Puri of Grazitti. Rachit’s overview of the Guided Page capabilities.
- Guided Templates – A First Look – Pierce Ujjainwalla of Knak.io fame.
- Marketo Guide Page Documentation – the official guide from the smart folks at Marketo.
- Create Your Guided Landing Page Template
- Getting Started with Guided Templates – by the amazing Jordan Lund of Marketo.
- Editing Guided Templates Part 1 and Part 2 – also by Jordan
I did notice an error in the HTML validator that I’ve asked Marketo to look into. Let me know if you have other tutorials or gotchas here in the comments.